Friday, January 13, 2012

Illusions

I've heard people say - mostly on movies, but sometimes in real life - that control is an illusion.

I swallowed it. I assumed that meant that I had no control. If control is illusionary, than reality must be uncontrolled.

I control when I go to bed. I control when I get up. I control what I eat. I control whether I act on my moods.

I still believe that I don't control every aspect of my life. I don't control whether people like me. I don't control whether someone hires me. I don't control whether I'm successful.

But I control how hard I try.

Therefore, lack of control must be just as illusionary as total control.

This makes me feel so much better about life.

1 comment:

CourtneyB said...

So true! Maybe people say they don't have control to make themselves feel better that their lives aren't going anywhere. (: