Monday, October 10, 2011

Welcome

This is my new blog! Isn't it shiny?

I mentioned in my Moving post that I'm about to be out of a job.

I've been working at a local bakery. Before you get excited, I've mostly been helping in the office. So, no, I can't make you a birthday cake.

Unfortunately, between the rising cost of materials and the declining economy, it's hard for the bakery to stay open. The doors will close by the end of October.

A moment of silence, please, for the best first job ever. It has been a wonderful ride.

I was hired as a naive college freshman who had plenty of volunteer experience but very, very little experience in the working world. I was hired to help ship cakes during the holidays. I was warned that this was most likely a temporary, three-month-tops job. (Leaving them open to let me go after New Year's if we hated each other.) Instead, this temporary holiday job has lasted a full year. Weirdly, I'm now one of the most senior employees. (I try not to think about that. Makes me feel old.)

I love the bakery. I love my manager. I love the owners.

I love that the business is small enough for me to get to know and love the bakery, the manager, and the owners.

As I try to resign myself to being young, brilliant, and unemployed, I just have to remind myself:

There are other perfect jobs out there. I just have to find one.

No comments: