Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sisterhood of Big Shoes

I'm not sure if this is a people thing or more of a woman thing, but I've noticed that when two complete strangers realize that they have something in common, they act like friends. They can chat like long lost family for as long as twenty minutes without ever exchanging names.

If the thing in common is a trial or hardship, such as cancer or addiction or a broken leg, the effect can be startling.

As for me, I belong to the Sisterhood of Big Shoes.

It's not a hardship to have big feet. I appreciate the fact that my feet are big enough to keep all six feet two inches of me from falling on my face. Having a stable foundation is nice.

But have you ever tried buying a cute pair of shoes... in size 13?

I always notice tall women. I feel immediately friendly towards them. They understand! They know my pain!

I can't count how many times these tall sisters have responded enthusiastically when they see how tall I am too. We exchange shoe store ideas, commiserate on the hardship of having feet proportionate to our size, and encourage each other to not give up on the quest to be tall and cutely dressed.

Then we go our separate ways, happier in this dark world where almost no store carries sizes above 10, knowing that we belong to a Sisterhood. Someone else also stands and drools over the size 11 shoes, wishing they were that petite. Someone else is fighting the fight on fashion.

I may go to five stores before finding my size, and only have four pairs to choose from, and three of them are hideous, but I am not alone!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I was amused when I was on a school trip with a tall teacher friend. She beelined to another tall woman at an airport and whipped out a notebook so she could write down where the woman had bought her jeans!
My 5 1/2 shoes are almost as hard to find as yours. Most shoe stores don't even carry my size any more. I can fit into some kids' shoes, but who wants to wear those to church? If I find heels that fit, I buy them no matter what the color and then make clothes to match!