Saturday, April 7, 2012

Not that anyone has ever asked

You never know: they might.

Why don't I drink alcohol?

1: I don't want to.

2: Deliberately ingesting an addictive, mood-altering substance for non-medicinal purposes is stupid.

3: I was raised Mormon.

4: No one in my family drinks.

5: Except for my great-great-grandfather. (Now dead.) (Unless he's a zombie, but no one ever mentions that kind of detail at family reunions.)

6: He beat his wife.

7: His son became a prohibition agent and broke up the illegal stills his father and brothers had hidden in the woods.

8: My great-great-grandfather and his other sons were so angry they tried to kill him.

9: He had to flee for his life and change his name. His own wife refused to come with him. He left everything behind.

10: That man was my great-grandfather.

11: Why would I ever drink?

12: Why would you?

13: Why don't I have something better to talk about on a Saturday afternoon?

14: I'm going to go write something now.

1 comment:

CourtneyB said...

Your mom just told me that story the other day. So fascinating! I see you come by your strength of character honestly. (: